Thursday 14 August 2014

Happy Birthday Sanne! - Black & White Recreation


Hi everyone!

Today's post is a bit special - it's to celebrate someone's birthday! And to be more specific: Sanne of Nail Polish In My Eyes's birthday :) It was actually yesterday, but I only managed to publish this post today oops.

Her boyfriend Ron contacted me and a bunch of other bloggers to ask if we wanted to collaborate on a birthday surprise for her, and yes of course I wanted to help! We just had to create some nail art and Ron would bundle everything in a surprise birthday blog post for Sanne. I thought the idea was too sweet not to participate :)

I haven't been following Sanne's blog for very long (I actually discovered her through OMD2!) but I love her designs. So for Sanne's birthday, I decided to recreate on of her designs to show how inspiring she is.


I recreated a Black and White design of hers, which she made for the 31 Day Challenge - you can see it here. I browsed through many of her designs and had favourited lots of pages from her blog, all with designs I wanted to recreate. This black and white design was one of my favourites, and since I didn't have an abundance of time to make it I thought this would be a good choice :)

I switched Sanne's design up a bit: instead of having three strokes of white and two black, I did it the other way around. I started out with two coats of Maybelline Color Show's Blackout, and then used acrylic paint for the stripes: I painted little white stripes next to each other and I top coated it before they were dry. Very easy and I love the outcome! It looks a bit messy but I quite like that look.


I got compliments on these too btw! Two ladies said they liked my nails and asked me if I went to a salon - it's always such a great feeling when you can say 'No I did these myself' right? ;)

Then they asked me if these were my real nails - why yes, they are! But for some reason people then feel the need to start insulting me sometimes: one of the women then said "Oh you probably don't do much work around the house then!" Uhm, yeah thanks. I'm just careful with my nails, I'm not lazy :/ (or to be more accurate, yes I'm lazy but not because of my nails lol!)

Anyway, onwards and upwards! I did this design on both hands as it was so easy and quick. And of course I had to take a fashion picture with a matching shirt.


It's a bold and striking look, I feel :) I am definitely going to ty this with some other colours too!

What do you think? Definitely go check out Sanne's blog too. In case you're interested, here's her big surprise birthday post with lots of designs everyone made for her! It's a hilarious post (Ron even did his own nails for the celebration) so definitely go read it!

Thanks for reading!


25 comments:

  1. Dit design stond op mijn planning, wat gaaf!! Vind ze super mooi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, super! Great minds think alike zeker? ;) Het is gewoon zo een leuk design dus wilde ik het zeker eens proberen!

      Delete
  2. Just like you, my being lazy has absolutely nothing to do with my nails. Lol I think some people can't fathom us spending that much time on nails. Just like how I would never spend time drying and straightening and styling my hair each morning. To each his own!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally! It's like the only proper reason you're allowed to spend a lot of time on nails is when you're a nail tech - and even then some people would probably look down on you because "it's only nails" :/ I also don't ever spend a lot of time with my hair or make up, but I just love doing my nails! :D

      Delete
  3. I love the last photograph! And the design looks amazing. The idea of the blogger collaboration was so unique and thoughtful :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rhea! I loved doing this little collaboration, it was indeed so thoughtful and fun of Ron!

      Delete
  4. Wow, what a cool design, it looks almost hypnotizing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My comment just disappeared :( Happy belated birthday to Sanne; How cute that her boyfriend arranged such a lovely surprise for her! I love these nails, they are absolutely gorgeous and so striking in the last picture. You did a really beautiful job :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh don't worry Ithfifi, I got your first comment too! :) I guess Blogger is just pretending to act difficult this time lol. Super cute of her boyfriend indeed! Thanks a lot for your kind words :)

      Delete
  6. i love the design of this it really stands out and i think it looks really edgy on the shape of your nails!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey thanks a lot! Sanne has a lot of great designs, it was difficult to pick just one to recreate! :)

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous design and gorgeous manicure!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are gorgeous, I love the striking design paired with the stark colors! I'm now following Sanne, her nails are perfect. The birthday post was such a sweet idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lucy! Sanne indeed has great nails and awsome designs! :)

      Delete
  9. I found that birthday post through Craftynail how cute was that! I've now started following Sanne too! I love this design you recreated it's so intriguing! I definitely want to try this out some time :) I love your matching outfit too! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So cute right! Thanks a lot! Hehe I'll tell you a little secret: my matching top is actually a pajama top but it matched so great that I wanted to take a picture with it anyway ;)

      Delete
  10. This is a very pretty design and looks really good! Hehe I like the matching outfit :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aww that was really nice of Ron to contact you and ask you to create a design! I love the design you've recreated! People always say the same to me about my nails too! Mine aren't as long as yours but I'm always like 'I'm just really careful' when people say things like that to me! I love how the design matches your outfit too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Jayna! Haha it seems like you had some catching up time with my blog! :D Yeah when those ladies said that I secretly thought "oh my and I just cut my nails down, what would you have thought when they were full length!" lol!

      Delete
    2. Haha yep, I've being doing a little bit of catching up! Haha how long were they before then?!? :)

      Delete
    3. They were as long as in my BPS full water decal review, which isn't like hundred feet long but still noticeably longer than in this post :) But I have to agree, my nails are never truly short!

      Delete

I love hearing from you! Definitely leave a comment with your thoughts, and if you have any questions, ask away! I always reply so check back :)
Please don't leave links in your comment unless they are related to my blog post. If you're new on my blog, I always come and check out yours :)